I’m excited to share this post because it was a reader request! Often I get asked how I stay fit and on-track while I’m on vacation. The truth is, I try not to stress too much about it while I’m on vacation and just focus on living a healthy lifestyle while I’m at home. Today I’m sharing a few of my tips on how to stay healthy while you’re traveling and not undo all the work that you’ve done at home.
Please remember I am nowhere near being a doctor or nutritionist so always consult a professional before you incorporate anything new into your lifestyle.
7 TIPS FOR STAYING HEALTHY & FIT WHILE TRAVELING
- I think the most helpful advice I can give you, is to make sure you have a solid routine at home. Maybe that means you work out a few days a week or focus on eating clean, or maybe you do both! It’s important to find what works best for YOU and is something you can maintain for the long-run.
- Avoid taking the subway or Ubering around town. Use this chance to see more of the city and get your heart rate up by walking, biking, or taking the stairs.
- Make two of your three meals light & fresh (like avocado toast or a salad). Head to the local farmer’s market for some fresh food! Only allow yourself one indulgent meal a day, whether that be at brunch or a Michelin Starred dinner.
- Stay away from overly sugary drinks, like piña coladas or margaritas. I know they taste amazing & make for extra-cute Instagram photos, but they’re not worth the calories!
- Incorporate physical activity into your day. Paul and I love hiking on vacation. It allows us to get out in nature and take in some incredible views. We also love to do activities like biking and kayaking. Anything that gets us moving and outside while exploring someplace new is a win in my book!
- When you get back home from vacation it can be really tempting to indulge one last time. It’s important to get back into your routine immediately. If you typically take studio classes or work out with a trainer, I recommend booking your classes before you go on vacation. That way, they’re already on your schedule when you return! Having this done ahead of time reduces the chances of you pushing it off and helps to get you back on track quickly.
- Another great tip is to schedule a grocery delivery/pick-up service for when you return home. Place the order before you leave town so it’s ready to go when you arrive home. It’s so much easier to commit to eating clean when you don’t have to work as hard!
I hope these tips are helpful for you the next time you head out of town! Remember, the most important thing is to enjoy your trip and don’t stress out about being “perfect” while you’re away. Just have fun and get back on track when you get home!
What tips do you use for staying fit & healthy on the road? Share below so we can try them out!